Support for Carers

Sometimes you can find yourself looking after relatives or friends when they are unwell. If this is the case, you might be a carer. Carers are sometimes entitled to receive financial, emotional and practical support to help you look after yourself.


If you’re over the age of 16 and you are a carer for someone aged 18 or over, you may be able to request a needs assessment to see whether you are entitled for support. This will look at your level of need and how being a carer affects you. After your assessment, you might find that you’re eligible for financial support through the Carer’s Allowance or tax credits, support with equipment or services to support your well being.

If you want more advice about being a carer, you can contact:


Carer’s Trust

Local services around the country. You can use the website to find a centre near you.

Carer’s UK

Phone: 0808 808 7777 | Mondays and Tuesdays from 10am to 4pm

Email: [email protected]

In Northern Ireland

Phone: 028 9043 9843 | Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm

Related Advice

Sign up to our Newsletter

Scroll to Top