If you want to find out more about the help you may be entitled to.


For a quick overview of what benefits you might be eligible for, you can use the Turn2us benefits calculator. For a detailed benefits check you can use the Entitledto benefits calculator; this is particularly helpful if you’re already claiming benefits and/or if you’re sick or disabled.

Are you on low income or not in work?
Universal Credit
  • What is it?
    Universal Credit is a payment that helps people with low income or who are unemployed.
  • Can I apply if I’m working?
    Yes, you can apply even if you are working, but you will get less money the more you earn.
  • Who can apply?
    You can apply if you are 18 or older and have less than £16,000 in savings.
  • What about rent?
    If you get the housing element of Universal Credit, it can help pay your rent.
  • Changes to benefits
    Old benefits like Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit, and Jobseeker’s Allowance are being replaced by Universal Credit. This will be completed by December 2025. You will get a letter telling you to sign up for Universal Credit.
  • Over State Pension age?
    If you are over State Pension age, you cannot get Universal Credit. But if your partner is below State Pension age and eligible, you can make a joint claim.
  • How to apply
    Apply for Universal Credit online or get help from Citizens Advice by calling 0800 1448 444.
Pension Credit
  • Who is it for?
    Pension Credit is for people over State Pension age (66 years old) and on a low income.
  • How is it different?
    It is different from your State Pension. You can still get it even if you have other income, savings, or own your home.
  • When can I apply?
    You can apply up to four months before you reach State Pension age.
  • How to apply
    Apply online, by post, or by phone at 0800 99 1234.

Are you sick or disabled?
Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Who can apply?
    If you are 16 years old or older but below State Pension age and have an illness, disability, or mental health condition, you may get PIP.
  • What is it for?
    PIP helps people who struggle with everyday tasks or getting around.
  • Components of PIP
    • Daily Living: Tasks like preparing food, washing, and using the toilet.
    • Mobility: Tasks like planning and following a route and moving around.
  • Rates
    • Daily Living: £72.65 (lower rate) or £108.55 (higher rate) per week.
    • Mobility: £28.70 (lower rate) or £75.75 (higher rate) per week.
  • Additional Information
    PIP is tax-free and does not depend on your income or savings. You can get PIP even if you work or receive other benefits. If you have less than 12 months to live, you will automatically get the daily living component.
  • How to apply
    Call the PIP new claims line at 0800 917 2222 to request a form. Fill it out and send it to the address on the form.
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for Children
  • Who can apply?
    You can apply for DLA if you are looking after a child under 16 who has mobility problems or needs more care than other children their age.
  • Components of DLA
    • Care: How much care the child needs.
    • Mobility: The child’s ability to walk.
  • Rates
    The weekly rate varies from £28.70 to £184.30, depending on the child’s needs.
  • How to apply
    Print and fill out the form or call 0800 121 4600 to request a form.
Attendance Allowance
  • Who can apply?
    You can apply for Attendance Allowance if you have reached State Pension age and need help with personal care due to a physical or mental condition.
  • Rates
    You could get either £72.65 or £108.55 a week, depending on how much help you need. This allowance does not cover mobility needs.
  • Additional Information
    • Not affected by your income or savings.
    • You may get extra Pension Credit or Council Tax Reduction if eligible.
    • If you have less than 12 months to live, you will get the higher rate.
    • You are not eligible if you live in a care home paid for by the local authority, but you may be eligible if you pay for it yourself.
  • How to apply
    Apply online, fill in a claim form and post it, or call 0800 731 0122 to request a form.
Do you have a child?
Child Benefit
  • Who can get it?
    • You can get Child Benefit if you are responsible for a child under 16 and live in the UK.
    • Being responsible means you live with the child and pay for their needs like food and clothing.
    • If your child is under 20 and in approved training or education, you may still get Child Benefit.
  • Who cannot get it?
    • You can’t get Child Benefit if your child works 24 hours or more per week, starts an apprenticeship, or gets their own benefits like Universal Credit.
    • If you or your partner earn more than £60,000 a year, you will have to pay some of the Child Benefit back as a tax.
How to Calculate Your Benefit and Tax
  • Check online to see:
    • How much Child Benefit you can get.
    • How much tax you might have to pay
Child Element of Universal Credit
  • If you get Universal Credit and have one or two children, you can get extra money called the child element.
  • You get £269.58 per child each month.
  • This extra money is paid until:
    • August 31st after your child’s 16th birthday.
    • Your child’s 19th birthday if they are still in school or training.
  • You won’t get extra money for more than two children unless you already claimed for three or more children before April 6, 2017.
Child Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit is being replaced by Universal Credit.
  • You can still get Child Tax Credit if you also get Working Tax Credit.
  • Apply for Universal Credit when you get a letter telling you to switch.
  • If your child was born before April 6, 2017:
    • You can get the ‘child element’ which is up to £3,455 a year per child.
    • You can get the ‘family element’ which is up to £545 a year.
  • If all your children were born after April 6, 2017, you will only get the child element for two of them.
  • To claim Child Tax Credit, update your existing tax credit claim online.
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for Children
  • If your child is under 16 and has a sickness or disability, you might be able to get Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  • See the section “Do you have a child?” for more information.
Do you care for someone?
Carer’s Allowance
  • Who can get it?
    If you care for someone for 35 hours or more a week, you may get Carer’s Allowance of £81.90 per week.
  • What does caring include?
    Caring includes helping with cooking, washing, household tasks like food shopping, and taking them to appointments.
  • Important details:
    • You don’t need to live with the person you care for or be related to them.
    • Only one carer can get Carer’s Allowance for the same person.
    • The person you care for must get a benefit like PIP, DLA, or Attendance Allowance.
    • You must be 16 or older, not in full-time education, and earning £151 or less per week after tax.
  • How to apply:
    Apply online, send in a form by post, or request a form by calling 0800 731 0297.
Carer’s Credit
  • Who can get it?
    If you are 16 or older, under State Pension age, and care for someone for at least 20 hours a week, you may get Carer’s Credit.
  • What does it do?
    Carer’s Credit helps ensure your State Pension is not affected by filling gaps in your National Insurance record.
  • Important details:
    • You don’t need to apply for Carer’s Credit if you already get Carer’s Allowance or Child Benefit for a child under 12. You will get the credits automatically.
  • How to apply:
    Fill in and post a form or request one by calling 0800 731 0297.

If you have any issues understanding or applying for benefits, please contact the Friends, Families and Travellers national helpline on 01273 234 777 and we will be happy to help out. We can help you with finding out what benefits you may be entitled to and helping you to fill out application forms. We are open Monday to Friday10am to 4.30pm excluding bank holidays.

Correct as of May 2024.

Related Advice

Sign up to our Newsletter

Scroll to Top