Conducted by YouGov in 2021 on behalf of FFT, adults across the UK were asked questions based on social factors, including prejudice against Gypsies and Travellers within education, community and economic settings.
Survey results showed that of the general population:
- 45% would be uncomfortable with a Gypsy or Traveller moving next door to them;
- 38% would be uncomfortable with their child meeting up with a Gypsy or Traveller child at their home;
- 33% would be uncomfortable with a family member marrying a Gypsy or Traveller.
In terms of economic exclusion and prejudice, responses showed that:
- 34% would be uncomfortable having a Gypsy or Traveller in their home, in either a social setting or as a tradesperson;
- 22% would be uncomfortable employing a Gypsy or Traveller;
- 34% would not be comfortable buying a service from a small business if they knew the business was run by a Gypsy or Traveller.
These findings provide a shocking yet unsurprising snapshot of the hate and racism that Gypsies and Travellers face in everyday situations.
Reflecting on the responses from the survey, Ivy Manning, Race Hate Lead and Project Coordinator at Friends, Families and Travellers said:
“This survey highlights the deeply entrenched prejudicial views and attitudes that many adults in the UK hold against Gypsies and Travellers.
Social exclusion is the cornerstone for wider systemic discrimination, and creates barriers to accessing health services, education and employment for Gypsy and Traveller families. More must be done to tackle hate, and this research shows how prolific and current it is for Gypsy and Traveller people.”
About Friends, Families and Travellers (FFT)
Friends, Families and Travellers is a leading national charity that works to end racism and discrimination against Gypsy, Roma and Traveller people and to protect the right to pursue a nomadic way of life.
Email: [email protected]
Prejudice survey. YouGov on behalf of Friends, Families and Travellers. May 2021. Here.
Economic and Financial Exclusion experienced by Gypsies and Travellers in England. Friends, Families and Travellers. April 2023. Read.
Race hate and prejudice faced by Gypsies and Travellers in England. Friends, Families and Travellers. March 2023. Read.
Featured image by @eszterhalasi.
All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2048 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 4th – 5th May 2021. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all UK adults (aged 18+).