Friends, Families and Travellers (FFT) is proud to present a new set of resources to help you prepare for and celebrate Gypsy, Roma and Traveller History Month 2023 (GRTHM)!
The resources, which can be seen here, are part of FFT’s theme for GRTHM “Weaving Journeys: A celebration of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller lives, histories and cultures”.
The theme focuses on patterns of travel, spanning across the past, and leading to the future. It asks and features where Romany Gypsy, Roma, Irish Traveller and other nomadic communities have travelled before, and where people would like to travel next, as a celebration of cultures and traditions.
Every June since 2008, people from across the UK have celebrated Gypsy, Roma and Traveller History Month. Through celebration, education and raising awareness, Gypsy, Roma and Traveller History Month helps to tackle prejudice, challenge myths and to amplify the voices of Gypsies, Roma and Travellers in wider society.
The resources contain:
- A brochure featuring interviews, a timeline, and information on traditional Gypsy, Roma and Traveller patterns, from across nomadic communities;
- An Education Pack for anyone in educational settings, with information on how to take part, a competition for young people, and more;
- A Digital Engagement Pack featuring digital assets you can use to celebrate from wherever you are, online!;
- Maps and sticker-style icons featuring frequent and historic stopping places for Irish Traveller, Romany Gypsy, Roma, New Traveller, Showmen and Boater communities.
You can access all of these resources by going to: gypsy-traveller.org/grthm.
All of our Gypsy, Roma and Traveller History Month materials are free, and we hope you enjoy them!
We’re excited to find out what you’ve got planned for June and can’t wait to see what you get up to, so please:
- Tag @FriendsFamiliesandTravellers or @GypsyTravellers;
- Use the #WeavingJourneys and #GRTHM23 hashtags!
Your support means that we can highlight the importance of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller History Month, and increase understanding and awareness of nomadic communities. If you would like to help us continue our work in future years, donate here.