Home Education

Home education, or ‘home schooling’ means that a child is taught at home by their parent/guardian instead of a teacher at school. If you decide to educate your child from home, then you have the option to teach them full-time or part-time.


When educating your child at home, it is important to bear in mind, that if your child is at school then you should notify the school of your plans to home educate. The school has a duty to accept, only when your child is being taken out of school entirely. If not, they have the right to reject your plans. However, it is sometimes possible to make arrangements for ‘flexi-schooling’, where a child is taught at school for some of their education.

It is important to note that you can receive help from your local council. But you do not require permission from the council to home educate your child, unless your child has special educational needs (SEN). You must also receive permission if your child is attending school due to a school attendance order.

It is a legal requirement that your child is given a full-time education from the age of 5. However, you will not need to teach them the national curriculum.

If you need some advice on educating your child at home you can contact Education Otherwise, the foremost Charity across England and Wales that promotes and supports the right of a parent or guardian to home educate their child. Please find details below:

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 443001245690


Please find attached a template letter for withdrawing your child from school. If you need help with this, please contact our helpline at 01273 234777.

Related Advice

Sign up to our Newsletter

Scroll to Top