Applying for a pitch on a Council site

If you are looking for somewhere to live you can apply for a pitch on a site owned by a local authority or a Registered Social Landlord (RSL). The Communities and Local Government department produce a list of these sites which can be viewed on their website. You can also download a copy of the data as of August 2015 from here.

In July 2014 there were 6,510 pitches on these authorised sites, however due to a national shortage of site provision, most of these pitches will be occupied with long waiting lists for future vacancies.

If you are interested on living on a pitch you will need to contact the relevant local authority and complete an application form. You will need to speak with the Gypsy/Traveller Liaison Officer, many of whom are listed in our Services Directory. If you need help contacting local councils you can ring us on 01273 234 777.

Most local authorities will have an allocation policy which will look at the way they assess allocating vacant pitches. These can vary from one local authority to the next. Some local authorities will look at how long you have been on their waiting list whereas others will address the applicant’s needs. A family with several children that are living on the roadside with severe health issues are considered to be in more need than a single person in housing. If your family does have any health issues it is important to provide supporting evidence such as a letter from your doctor.

A local authority may also look at your local connection to the area. You should mention if you have any relatives there of if you have stayed on sites in the area before.

If you would like support with applying for a pitch, you can call our national helpline on 01273 234 777.

Last updated Jun 1, 2017