What Support is Available for Young Carers?

If you or someone you know is a young carer then we’ve put together this piece of advice so you know what support is available.
What is a young carer?


A young carer is someone under the age of 18 who looks after an adult in their family who needs support because of a disability, physical or mental health conditions, or substance misuse issues.

They help out with extra tasks around the home to support their family member practically and sometimes emotionally. Many young carers might not always realise that they are a carer and that there is support available for them too.

If an adult is being looked after by a young carer, then the local council must consider what the impact it might have on the child. They will want to make sure that the child isn’t taking on more than they can handle and that their caring duties aren’t interrupting their education. They will carry out an assessment which will include the young carer, their parents and any other person the young carer requests in the assessment process.

In most cases, the assessment is nothing to worry about – the council are usually trying to work out the best support they can give to the person receiving care. To find out more about what a young carer’s assessment involves, visit the Child Law Advice section on young carers.

Where a young carer is identified as requiring support, local councils will then tell you what support they can offer to the young carer.

This support varies depending on the area that you live in but could include:
  • emotional support through counselling and drop-in sessions
  • opportunities to get involved in activities with other carers
  • small grants for home appliances
  • respite grants
  • direct payments
  • personal budgets
If you want more advice on whether you or someone you know qualifies for young carers support, contact:

Action for Children

Work closely with schools, education welfare, children’s social services and GPs to help provide practical and emotional support for young carers.

Visit website


Provide advice and support on what young carers are entitled to, emotional support through counselling and drop-in sessions, opportunities for young carers to play and learn with other young carers and more.

Visit website

Carers UK

Local support directory helps carers find local sources of support.

Visit website

Child Law Advice

Provide specialist advice and information on child, family and education law to parents, carers and young people.

Visit website

The Children’s Society

Work in partnership with local and national services to support young carers in knowing their rights and with advice on education, well-being and mental health.

Visit website

Friends, Families and Travellers

We provide advocacy casework, advice and information to Gypsies and Travellers on our national helpline.

Call 01273 234 777. Our helpline is open Monday to Friday from 10am to 4.30pm, with the exception of bank holidays.

This is for information only. FFT does not endorse any organisation shared on the FFT website.

Correct as of January 2024.

Related Advice

Sign up to our Newsletter

Scroll to Top